SRA Codes of Conduct 2011 and 2017
The Codes of Conduct are undergoing a substantial rewrite, reducing 45 pages to two Codes of 6 pages each. Key principles remain the same but with key changes in the removal of Indicative Behaviours and Outcomes. There is a Code for Firms and another for individuals. One main change is the ability for firms to conduct unreserved business from an unregulated firm, or one regulated by a body other than the SRA.
How would this work? How would a solicitor, working in one of these unregulated businesses be policed and regulated? Will it devalue the solicitor brand or bring new options to a restricted market?
This programme will explore the suggested changes to the Codes and discuss the new regime and its implications.
Points covered include:
- Code for firms – key inclusions
- Code for Individuals – key inclusions
- Costs, conflicts and confidentiality – the key points
- How will client money be handled?
- What about interest?
- Am I personally liable on my undertakings if I work in an unregulated firm?
- Where can I get some guidance to help me and my staff?